Monday, February 15, 2016

They Followed Him Immediately.

Originally presented in Japanese at Japan Evangelical Lutheran Kuwamizu Church, January 26, 2014.

When I read the story of the calling of Jesus' first disciples, I wonder what those four fishermen were thinking. The Bible says that they left their nets, their boats, even their families, and followed Jesus. Was Jesus already well-known by then? Did the fishermen know anything about what they were getting into? I don't really know.

Even now I know Jesus' true identity as the Son of God, salvation through the Cross, and God's love, but if Jesus were to call me today, would I go? In general, I don't do impulsive things. Before I do something major or make an important decision, to be prepared and avoid looking like a fool, I thoroughly check up on, research, and learn about that thing.

In Kyoto, April 2007.
Seven years ago, before I came to Japan for the first time, I studied Japanese culture, language, history, and traditions. My friends were really interested in Japan, and they were the ones to convince me to go on my high school's Japan trip. At first I thought it seemed like such a long journey, and I hadn't had any overseas experience, so I thought I wouldn't go. To tell the truth, I was scared. Those studies seemed to erase my fear.

Now I've been living in Japan for over a year. Of course, in this time my knowledge of Japan has become greater than it was before I became a J-3. But at the same time, my anxieties and worries seem to also be increasing. That spring break Japan trip seven years ago was fun, but I was just a tourist. I was always with my American friends, and we just visited various sightseeing spots. Now, there are no tour buses or hotels, and I'm living here.

Even so, now that I'm no longer a tourist, my love for Japan is also deepening. Working as a missionary in Japan is like a dream come true. Every day through the kindness of my fellow teachers, pastors, students, and friends, I feel the love of God. Every day in this wonderful country, God grants me new blessings and teaches me more about His deep love. For this I am thankful to Him.

Those four fishermen didn't seem to have time to study or prepare. They may have at least heard of the prophets' messages, or the signs of the Messiah, but they probably didn't have time to really think about that when they saw Jesus. Maybe... maybe when Jesus is near, study or preparation time isn't necessary.

Recently, in morning chapel at school, I heard Psalm 34. Verse 10 particularly struck me. "Fear the Lord, you his holy people, for those who fear him lack nothing," it says. In the Bible, Jesus calls people over and over to follow Him. But at the same time, he also says over and over, "Do not be afraid."

God promises to grant us everything we need. Like the disciples, we have troubles, we wander, and we sin, but if we trust in Jesus, we will stay in God's love, and be filled with Jesus' joy. From the beginning, the disciples sought Jesus more than anything. Today we can't see Jesus, but let us leave behind the worries and burdens of daily life, and earnestly seek Jesus, too.

Let us pray.

Heavenly Father, we thank You for Your love. Forgive us for forgetting your promises. Grant that we may follow you faithfully.

In Jesus' name we pray, amen.

As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will send you out to fish for people." At once they left their nets and followed him.

Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.

Matthew 4:18-22 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment