Saturday, April 16, 2016

Quakes in Kumamoto.

It's hard to know how to begin this entry.

I was going to make my last post on (or close to) April 1, the Returnniversary, with some reflections on the year since I got back to the States and what my time in Japan meant to me, etc. But that seems trite now, especially in light of the past few days.

If you haven't heard, there was a magnitude-6.5 earthquake centered in Kumamoto on Thursday, followed by a 7.0 earthquake on Friday. The damage is extensive, and the death toll as of this writing is already in the 40s, with more victims possibly buried in collapsed buildings. I've been furiously trying to get in touch with everyone I can. Kuwamizu Church sustained damage in the sanctuary but is thankfully still standing, though church services have been canceled for Sunday. Luther High School suffered some structural damage as well. Members of my church and other missionaries tell me there's no gas service, no water coming out of the faucets, often no electricity, and lines for gas stations going down the street and around the corner. They've had to sleep in cars, out in parks, in school gymnasiums, in covered parking structures. It's been unpleasantly surreal, seeing photos on the news or on people's Facebook timelines of places I know so well with broken glass, cracked walls, collapsed roofs. I'm more thankful than I ever have been in my life for social media so I can know people are safe, though I'm still anxiously waiting on updates from a few dear friends whom I haven't heard from since before the main quake.

Please keep Kumamoto in your prayers. Aftershocks are expected to continue for another week, and rain this weekend has only added to the misery. Please pray for the rescuers and evacuees, that they be kept safe and that the ground quiets beneath them; that they may know God's peace and presence with them; and that God's love for them be clearly shown, even in the midst of this disaster.

Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
Romans 12:15 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment